Online Grant Writing and Reviewing Workshop 2020
The aim of this workshop is to support the development of the grant writing and reviewing skills of researchers working in the field of animal welfare. It is taking place online in order to ensure that it can go ahead this year.
When is it?
Wednesday 16th September 2020 approximately 9am to 4pm.
What does the workshop involve?
The morning session of the workshop will include a mock grant review panel session, which is a fantastic opportunity to get an insight as to how grants are assessed and what it would be like to sit on a BBSRC Committee. The afternoon will include talks and Q&A sessions with experienced animal welfare researchers and representatives from BBSRC. Talks will cover topics such as what makes a grant successful and how to deal with unsuccessful applications. When we ran a similar event three years ago, delegates said that this was invaluable experience and that all Early Career Researchers (ECRs) should have the opportunity to attend one!
What will you need to do?
Making these grant panels as realistic as possible requires considerable preparation from both the organisers and the delegates and therefore we ask that you please only register for the event if you are willing to commit to the following:
– Read or watch the supplied guidance on reviewing grants in advance of the meeting.
– Review two grants in full and present them at the meeting in the role of Introducing Member (IM) (don’t worry we will provide guidance on the whole process).
– Read through the other (8 or so) grants allocated to your panel in advance of the meeting.
– Attend the full session (9am to 4pm) on 16th September.
Why is it so important that you attend if you have registered?
Once registration is closed we will allocate delegates to their committee group (balancing numbers and experience) and assign each delegate specific grants to review. If people drop out it may be necessary to rebalance the committees and potentially amend the grants being reviewed by other delegates, which is something we want to avoid as much as possible. We appreciate that sometimes there are circumstances beyond your control but we ask that those who register for the event please do everything they can to attend the workshop.
Who can attend?
The meeting is free, however it is only for members of the AWRN (click here for details of membership). International members are welcome to attend or delegate another member of their department to participate, however this training will be quite specific to BBSRC Grant Committees and therefore is most relevant to people likely to apply for BBSRC funding in the future.
Important dates for delegates
– The deadline for registration is Sunday 19th July at 5pm.
– We will endeavour to have details of your assigned committee, instructions and grants to review with you around 16th August.
– The event will take place on Wednesday 16th September.
How to register
If you wish to attend the event then please REGISTER here.
Should you have any questions about registering or the event itself then please get in touch.